View Single Post
Old 16th October 2020, 17:12   #10
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenkeyte View Post
I removed the seal and cleaned the flange, there appeared to be traces of some type of sealant on the flange which I cleaned off, it seemed to be more of a non-setting type mastic rather than a silicon type sealant, I cleaned the flange but prior to refitting poured water onto the rear screen, no water in the boot, I refitted the seal, making sure it was fully seated on the flange and poured water on it, this time there wasn't any evidence of water tracking up inside the seal, so I I'll just have to wait until the next period of rain to see if there is any water penetration,
Steve
My own experience was that after fixing literally everything else, I still had water coming into the boot, and finally worked out it had to be somehow getting under the seal. Heavy rain definitely overwhelmed the design. A brand new seal from Rimmers didn't fix my problem until I silicone sealed the entire fitting surface. With hindsight, if I had just silicone sealed the old seal it would have been fine. My new seal ended up being fitted with the ventilation holes on the outside, so that might be technically the wrong way round, but it stopped leaking when it was silicone sealed and my boot has been dry in all weather now for over a year .
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote