View Single Post
Old 11th July 2019, 15:25   #28
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
I also use wood sleepers - a 3mx250mmx125mm sleeper cut into 400mm lengths for support. I make sure that the pad is in place and even when I have used the sleeper pieces without the pad, I used a similar sized square of wood to bear the load.

The reason being that there is only support for jacking in the area of the pad - beyond this the sill will deform relatively easily.

See this photo of the support structure from Simon aka sd1too.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...75&postcount=5
Thanks, that's what I thought - i.e. to avoid bending the sill, the car should only be supported by the jacking point area and nothing (wood or otherwise) should be in contact with the sill either side of it.

My OSR jacking point has some rust but nothing like the 1st pic here or 2nd pic in post 3 here. I've prodded the sill all around the pad hole with a sharp point and it's solid, only the edges of the hole itself are a bit flaky/rusty.

A thought occurs (might be a silly idea) but what about filling the jacking points with expanded foam? Imagine Simon's repaired sill (2nd pic here) completely full of rock hard expanded foam. Would it prevent rust by stopping condensation forming or water entering?
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote