View Single Post
Old 9th April 2023, 04:58   #24
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
Not strictly what this thread is about, but carrying on from your comment in the thread in the other forum... I've had apple computers for around 18 years now, and wouldn't have anything else for my use. Ok, if you like gaming then there simply isn't the range of games for Mac. But my use is storage of music, family photos, general internet browsing, as well as storing reference photos for various hobbies, plus STL's and slicers for 3D printing.

According to the info screen on my current laptop it's an early 2015 model, but I could've sworn I got it before my middle son was born and that was early 2015. Anyway, it's still running fine, not had any issues at all, I've not wanted to update to the latest versions of OS, so haven't, it reminds me, but I've always got the option not to.

Only problem I have had is when I dropped it, and broke the screen/bent the lid. Luckily covered on house insurance, initially they were going to replace it but then arranged for a repair, it came back with a nice new screen and lid.

Now in fairness, you could buy several windows laptops for what I paid for my Mac, I think it was in the region of £1800, by the time I'd upgraded bits, but I'd rather buy something more than I need in the hope it'll last that bit longer. Which so far, it has.

I've also got a 2011 iMac in the garage that a friend gave me. That is also used for 3D printing, file storage and playing music in the garage, 11 years old and still working fine.
Like yourself I dropped the MacBook Pro and cracked the screen whilst on my travels. A MacBook repair shop in Nairobi replaced the screen and lid from a donor MacBook Pro for £180, so the parts are not cheap. In total I have 3 MacBook Pros 2009 - 2013 models which can’t be updated to beyond “High Sierra”. It’s an annoyance as some of the new apps I would like to use, I can’t because the apps designate my MBP’s as being too old and at a certain date there is no support from Apple for the older models, the so and so’s.

Last summer, a nephew kindly donated his 13” MacBook Pro to me because the mouse wasn’t working. To get it working I plugged in a USB mouse and keep it as a spare, but it’s a 2010 model and similarly it can’t be upgraded to the latest Mac OS.

Of course Apple would love me to buy a new MBP, but the cost of a new one is a downer. I will have to settle for a refurbished or reconditioned replacement, but for now it can wait.

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 9th April 2023 at 05:01..
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote