Old 19th August 2019, 15:09   #46
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Re towing with an A frame.
I sent this email to International Vehicle Standards,, Department for Transport

Dear International Vehicle Standards,
I have read your web page at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/a-frames-and-dollies/a-frames-and-dollies concerning the use of an A frame for towing.

Part of the article states :-
“Trailers having a maximum laden weight not exceeding 750kg are not required to have brakes fitted. However, if the trailer (regardless of mass) is fitted with a braking system, then all brakes in that system must operate correctly and efficiently. This means that the braking systems of small ‘microcars’ (under 750kg in weight) must still operate, even when the vehicle is being towed. Unless the vehicle is broken down, when C&U makes special provision.”

Alas the web page does not go on to say what the special provision is. Please could you advise on the regulations concerning the use of an A frame with a motor vehicle over 750kg in weight that has broken down. For sake of my request the vehicle weighs no more than 1700kg

Thank you in advance

I got this reply
"Thank you for your email of 12 August to our IVS enquiries inbox about towing with an A-frame. I have been asked to reply.

A broken down vehicle is not required to have working brakes, so it can be towed with an A-frame."

Yours sincerely
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote