View Single Post
Old 23rd October 2020, 11:25   #5
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
I have some rattling V6 Inlet manifolds lying around and curiosity got the better of me. I opened one up to try to understand the problems a little better, what a can of worms we face in the future. The picture one shows the butterflies in the open position, picture two shows the operating rod in position and that's where all our problems come from, the axles that the butterflies are on are hard plastic in a hard plastic carrier, the pictures three and four show the kind of wear I've described, not all of them seem to wear but the ones nearest the vis motor do wear a lot. The carriers are sonic welded on to the manifold rather like a crown being placed. I'd say it's very possible to remove them and swap bad ones for good ones, they wear out the axle and carriers and go very baggy, it seems that this then puts a strain on the operating shaft and, the areas where it clips on to the butterflies elongates and then simply falls off, this results in the butterfly just flapping around. The last picture shows an elongated hole and the shaft is nothing but scrap, it's made from hard plastic and wears badly. I reckon the only way to get round this problem is a new type of shaft and find a way to bush the axle holes for the butterflies, if we can't solve this then all manifolds will end up scrap at some point, I do think regular oil changes will help but not enough in the long term.
Those pics are gold to someone like me. I bought the 190 that Rick saved from the scrappie and plan to continue the work needed to keep her running properly. I'm sure I'm going to be looking at the inlet manifolds at some point with 140k miles on the meter. I can see from those pics how having 6 flappy butterfly valves must wreak havoc with the mixture. My V8 is more economical than the V6 at the moment. There is definitely work to be done. Tickover when the engine is warm is too high, and when coasting it ranges between 1k to 2k revs intermittently. I can see Rick did a lot of work replacing vacuum lines ( amongst many other things...all good ). I'm in the process of re purposing a disco smoke machine to run some smoke tests on the whole inlet system. Any and all advice very welcome as always.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote