View Single Post
Old 5th November 2021, 20:45   #4
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
What will become of future classic cars in this day & age with the end of ICE cars by the end of the decade? Will the new world BEV's cut the mustard for car enthusiasts in the same way petrol/diesel cars do or are we going to make do with the cars we have today.

I was reading about the Mini last night & BMW have just announced that Mini will make it's last combustion engine in 2025 five years ahead of the ICE ban date

https://www.electrive.com/2021/11/03...ngine-in-2025/ This picture of the original Mini & the BMW Mini parked side by side still amazes me as to how bloated it became.

In fairness, that's a MINI Countryman not just the hatch

There are people who do not consider ICE cars with fuel injection and plastic bumpers as classics, but as the cars age and the scene evolves, what is accepted as a classic also changes. This will apply to BEVs in time. How this will present itself remains to be seen. I suspect enthusiastic interest for BEVs will be driven by aftermarket performance enhancement, given the potential there. It's something I will struggle with personally as BEVs are appliances that serve a purpose (perhaps with the exception of something like a Taycan) but I'm prepared to be converted.