View Single Post
Old 29th January 2019, 14:51   #10
Mattyboy
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon / Rover 75 Tourer / MG ZT-T+ (180)

Default My Rover 75 image

I wanted a car with old fashioned styling cues like chrome accents & vivid colours beyond the bland silver, black, normally available, but on a modern car with modern handling & comforts.

I wanted lots of creature comforts like air conditioning, leather & cup holders. I also wanted a four door saloon.

I wanted a car that was attractive without being flashy & I wanted something that was underrated in the public perception. Rover carried a bad name in the United Kingdom but the 75 was its last swan song & had the best of British design & German engineering.

I needed a car that was likely to have been cared for by demographic with money to spend on maintenance & these tended to have had the elderly gentlemen keepers but was also an affordable purchase price.

I was looking for a British equivalent to Buick or Mercury. Something that was never in the Cadillac or Lincoln category but with top specification could be just as nice. "Poor man's Jag" or "Baby Bentley" labels heightened my interest.

I remembered these launching & being compared to Jaguar S-Type. I recalled vaguely preferring the Rover 75 especially the interior styling with warm coloured gauge dials, piped leather & wood dash.

I came from a Ford family that despised the Rover brand, & drove a lovely Mondeo Ghia X but I found it somewhat bland. I considered a VW Phaeton because it was similar in market positioning to the a top spec Mondeo/75 & wasn't yet another Mercedes or BMW. I purchased a local Rover 75 as an experiential toy & fell in love. It drove smoothly, was comfortable & won over my family with plaudits. I sold my Ford & purchased a 2nd Rover 75 with even higher specification & they liked that one even more.

For the foreseeable future I will drive only 75's, maintaining these as long as possible & saving one from scrappage for conversion to electric power when the price is right. In short they are perfect for me.

https://ibb.co/ZfD23tg & here they are together, colours complimenting each other.

Last edited by Mattyboy; 29th January 2019 at 15:00.. Reason: Addition of image.
Mattyboy is offline   Reply With Quote