Thread: Mileage reading
View Single Post
Old 15th March 2019, 13:46   #6
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovcan View Post
Some time ago there was talk of legal action against car manufacturers based on "optimistic" speedometers (5%-15%). It was thought that the cars were racking up mileage to the maximum listed in the warranty 5%-15% quicker than reality and saving manufacturers money by the warranties ending early. It turned out that while the speedometers had that buffer to prevent unintended speeding, the odometers were accurate. How? I don't know. Measured against GPS? I don't know. Just thinking out loud.

Cheers,
Glenn
I think that you are correct.
When I had by digital speedo enabled, I noticed quite a difference between this readout and the analogue speedo.

My over-read on the speedo is approaching 10%, but I do not get those kind of discrepancies when measuring distances, with the odometer.

On the IPK Diagnostics on my car, I can get two different speed readings under 7.3 and 7.4. The readout is in km/hr rather than mph.
From what I can make out, the odometer and digital speed reading is the same as 7.3 and the analogue speedo is from 7.4.

I used the excellent guide from T-Cut here

Maybe something has gone wrong with the data on the OP's car.
I notice that 21.0 does a software factory reset in the event of a configuration error.
It might be worth trying that.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote