View Single Post
Old 14th July 2021, 23:23   #14
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robson Rover Repair View Post
I don't think people realise the significance of it.

Here in Northern Ireland your car will be burned out if you have a GB sticker on it in the wrong area. I've been chased out of areas for having a UK mainland plate when I was younger and not a Northern Ireland plate.

Plenty even put IRL badges on their Northern Ireland cars and are then incorrectly insured for accidents that occur. It's even worse, the absolute extreme will even bring an OPEL into Northern Ireland, import it, and drive it just to prove their loyalty lies outside of the UK.

Plenty of local owners will confirm this. I previously travelled on a NI badge, which during my travel was ratified by the EU as unacceptable mid 2015 ish mid journey so I had to try and find a GB badge in France of all places for my insurance!

Having a single UK badge is a big thing, and frankly it will solve a lot of issues here, especially with those who will be legally required to have one.

The most you folks have to worry about is a bit of English / Scottish banter. It's massively different for us here
to be fair, it is not half as bad as it used to be, regarding english plates. Dealers, for the past ten years or so, have become lazy regarding re-registering 'pre-registered' cars. Or the influx of cheaper english cars with 'Just out of England, mainly motorway miles' being sold by the back street dealers.

But I still wouldnt park a car with a GB/UK sticker on the Falls, or IRL on the Shankill lol. Would even be nervous with an IL or UI plate on a car there too - an old manager of mine had his tyres slashed whilst parked on the Shankill (the main road, not in a residential street, with the police suggesting that it was either mistaken identity or the UI plate).

When I first got the ZT, I had to go to a conference at the Met, on the Springfield Road, to which I was told there was no parking. I looked in to removing the chequered union flags from the rear for the risk of vandalism. Found out it had onsite parking, so didnt have to do anything. But they have faded now, and have no intention of replacing them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

With regards to UK/GB stickers, the more correct label should be UK anyway (UK = Great Britain and Northern Ireland, although probably better represented would be BI for British Isles - but then that would be divisive too not just in NI, but as the BI includes Ireland, it would probably start a war lol). I thought this had been agreed at some level though, early in negotiations regarding the rules of driving in EU countries after Brexit (eg from Northern to Southern Ireland).

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote