View Single Post
Old 29th December 2021, 17:38   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
I have spare duty solenoids for the autobox ready to fit when needed. i need to buy a front pan gasket for the gearbox for when required. the old method of sealing the cover has been replaced by a gasket. sussex autos i think will have one im sure, but i have seen these gaskets in both standard and a new neoprine type advertised on ebay. but wondered about what would be best. has anyone used the newer type ? ... thanks
There was a cork type one I purchased on recommendation from the forum. To me it seemed rather thick (although it is the correct size and shape). Reading in Rave if I recall, it mentioned gasket sealant. I purchased some black sealant suited to the job - I cannot recall the name, unfortunately (checking on google, THIS one looks familiar, but I would verify this first). My plan was to make the decision on which to use when I actually was 'in front of the job'.

I was reluctant to use both methods together, and with the pan being mounted vertically, I figured the safest method, with only having two hands to do the job, was to clean the mating surfaces, and use the sealant. Three years on and all appears fine.

I assume you have ATF as there is quite a bit to replace, if I recall I drained about 3-4 litres prior, with a quantity leaking from the pan on removal.

As a side note, keep your old solenoids, even any faulty ones, as they may be repairable. see HERE and also a video of a teardown of the JF506E as a visual guide.

EDIT: Just discovered a similar solenoid repair carried out by Sonic HERE, with the repair failing after around 500 miles.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 30th December 2021 at 17:27..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote