View Single Post
Old 17th April 2021, 08:34   #14
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Chris, it would be interesting to see the old gasket if possible. Any chance you could ask the garage to save it for you? The typical HGF suffered by this model isn't the traditional fire ring type failure, but a simple delamination of the elastomer rings that keep the coolant and oil channels apart. Said by some to be a direct consequence of OAT plasticisation of the silcone beads. Here's what mine looked like:
I'm currently investigating the effect of 50% OAT coolant on these beads to see if the theory has merit.
TC
Ask yourself this. Try bonding an elastomer to bare metal add in temperature and pressure differential between the coolant and oil system, them have a joint between two surfaces that constantly flex and see how long the bond lasts?
Not a pretty design IMO. They should have lasered tiny slots into the metal shim to allow the elastomer to get a hold of something. I have not seen the elastomer itself actually damaged only the bond has given up. I can’t recall the elastomer type used (EPDM?) but if it is then that does not take kindly to exposure to hydrocarbon and swells up again releasing the bond over many heat and pressure cycles.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote