View Single Post
Old 12th May 2017, 02:32   #10
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyboy View Post
Yeah I know what you mean Kev but think back to the 50s we never had springs snapping then, maybe we might have the odd leaf spring snapped but not the whole leaf spring,obviously that was before I was born, but I still have experience of that type of vehicle.
My guess there is two reasons for this, one the roads were probably not so potholed as they are now and secondly the quality of the material used to make modern springs is probably not Sheffield steel any more. Even the new springs fitted at the factory were probably costed down to cheapest they could buy and they were probably made in Turkey or China from recycled material.

I have fitted new after market springs to cars that have failed in weeks, always exchanged under warranty but we are own worst enemies, what do we ask for when we are buying new parts? We rarely ask for the best parts but usually the cheapest. You should see some of the rubbish parts I am asked to fit to Classic cars, in come cases the 40 year old parts are better than the new white boxed part.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote