Thread: Brake fluid!
View Single Post
Old 12th February 2019, 22:56   #76
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Just talking with a colleague in work about her Audi A1. She left it in for a diagnostic after a flashing glow plug light came on -£60 They sent her a video walkaround of the car which was quite impressive, stating what work they believed the car needed. (albeit with no mention of the why the warning light came one!). Timing belt and water pump £399, I thought was dear 'til I looked up the cost of a Gates kit which was £160. It is still dear, however remember this is an Audi main dealer. Next was brake fluid change, at £65, which again in the grand scheme of things I thought less than I expected. Last thing on the list we had rear tail light bulb, we now get to main dealer pricing! lol £35!!!!! For a tail light????? But below each itemised point there was a 'yes please' button and a 'no thank you' button. Allowing her to proceed whilst they had the car or not. I thought it was quite impressive. It does explain why dealer pricing can be so high though.

But the reason for posting was I had advised her to try 'my guy' who I use for things I dont have tools for, or for my mother's car (I am happy to 'learn' with mine, but wont risk putting hers off the road). She didnt, she phoned 'her guy' who couldnt quote her for the timing belt (time change as opposed to mileage, 5 years or 75000 miles, her car has 48k and 7 years with no history of it - they werent really trying to dig their arm in unnecessarily), but he did tell her £27 for a complete fluid change.

£27 for a more responsive and positive feeling pedal. Ok it is half to a quarter the price of a service. But it is also a quarter of the price of a premium tyre that people claim to fit 'as it is what connects you to the road'. They wont keep you on that road though if the what connects your pedal to the pad suddenly decides to compress all its moisture. £13.50 per year? Not that bad really

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote