View Single Post
Old 13th February 2019, 11:03   #77
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross R75 View Post
I understood what you meant first time, and I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

If the fluid boils, you have no brakes. I agree completely. Changing the fluid makes no difference, I disagree entirely.
changing the brake fluid makes no difference.
So we're agreed that you have brake failure with boiling fluid. We're also agreed that brake fluid is hygroscopic, it absorbs water over time... Yes? Old brake fluid boils at a temperature 80 degrees Celsius LOWER than new brake fluid. Therefore, you have a greater chance of suffering total brake failure with old fluid, than you do with new fluid. It's really not a difficult concept.

Clang!....... Ah yes, NOW the penny has dropped
However-----In 65 years of motoring on the road I have NEVER, ever read of a car having brake failure due to water boiling in the brake fluid.--

Nor have I ever read about it in my 10 years on this forum.--Must be as rare as hens teeth.

I could see it happening if you were descending from Mont Blanc using the brakes all the way though.--

PS. Looking back through my posts I have NEVER said changing brake fluid makes no difference. Maybe you are quoting from another persons post.--

If you keep dropping these pennies you are going to make me very rich. ( I hope. Lol. )

If you gave me a penny on day one then two pennies on day two then four pennies on day three and so on ( Doubling each time. ) then by the end of a month I would be a multi millionaire.---

Please don't stop.----Every little helps when you are a pensioner.--
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote