View Single Post
Old 27th December 2019, 12:06   #39
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveluck View Post
But Mike, I thought the issue is that original thermostats themselves fail? Ie they stay open therefore continually cooling the engine?

I thought the inline simply replaces the work of the non functioning OEM thermostat. In other words the engine will produce and retain enough heat if you have a functioning thermostat.

My inline definitely works. I have more heat but it is still too low. Sits at 83c which I think is probably about 10c too low but that is considerably better than the 65c it was sitting at.
Not Rover or a diesel but I had a similar problem with my Volvo 740. Around town it was quite happy with the gauge at normal but on faster driving I tended to notice the temp gauge drop right down, but not always. Simple enough job to whip the elbow off and take the thermostat out and put in a saucepan of water, from what I discovered it was sticking open very slightly. Obviously around town it was able to warm up but on the motorway, the increased air flow cooled it down too much. New thermostat and was good as gold - thermonuclear heater restored.

Years ago with diesels you could probably blank off most of the radiator in cold weather and not cause any problems.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote