View Single Post
Old 16th December 2023, 07:14   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default V6 auto

Thanks Rick but four days later ...

Have you made any progress on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonestarick View Post
Switched the ignition on and confronted with a constant yellow engine warning light and a flashing red light ...
If you mean the "check engine" light then what did the RAC say about that? Also, can you identify the flashing red light in your owner's handbook please Rick.
Quote:
... on turning over the starter motor made a heavy grinding noise which I assume is where it is failing to engage properly.
That's unlikely with a pre-engaged starter. They're designed so that motor doesn't receive an electrical supply until it is meshed with the engine. This, coupled with the warning lights, makes me suspicious that there's something else going on with the engine.
Quote:
I am thinking I could take the battery and box out disconnect/remove the throttle unit ...
Yes, remove the battery and its box but leave the throttle body alone.

And just a tip on your original plans ...
Quote:
I was just going to replace the thermostat housing on my V6 auto'.
If you have the common leakage the cause is flattened 'O' rings (CDU 3858). I'd strongly recommend retaining your original housing since it's likely to be higher quality than the replacements which also, it's been reported by members, have a cooler thermostat inside which isn't correct for our climate.

Simon