View Single Post
Old 29th July 2018, 20:00   #6
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Think I’ll hang on to mine as our winters are 6 months long and while initially I thought it a dumb system which just strangles the airflow, it seems a bit more complicated than just that. The traction control ABS has an additional 4 valves compared to the standard one. It also asks the main ECU to adjust the torque if both of the drive wheels are outside expected parameters. Just as standard ABS the TC system will compare all four sensors and restrict the one reporting outside expected parameters.

But also if one of the drive wheels starts spinning and is outside the expected parameters, the ABS ECU will brake that wheel and at the same time transfer the torque to the other drive wheel by use of the diff.

So if you're stuck will one wheel in the snow, the TC should brake the spinning wheel and transfer drive to the free wheel. Ideal if it works as it should.

Sounds the sort of thing that could be useful in long Scandinavia winters even after 40 years of driving here.

Sorry if the language is a bit stilted, my translate from the Swedish Tekniskt kompendium (Technical Brochure).

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote