View Single Post
Old 20th September 2019, 04:30   #10900
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Did you ever have one of those frustrating days?
Today, working on my ZT things went well, I removed the cam covers and resealed the gaskets, installed a new set of metal engine coolant pipes and continued putting the engine back together to finish the cambelt change.
Things stopped going well when, after installing the R/H engine mount assembly I looked at the remaining parts and saw the dip stick...which should have gone in before reinstalling the auxiliary belt idler and the engine mount.
Turns out you can actually fit the dip stick tube with the aux belt in place but just try getting the securing bolt in place!
Off came the engine mount assembly and the pulley, dipstick bolt in, reassembled the engine mount then....dropped the NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- hydromount nut!
I heard it go clink, clink, thud but didn't see where it went. It isn't on the floor, and an exhaustive search of any visible places it could have gone has proven fruitless. If it's sitting on a suspension bit, or somewhere out of the way that's not a big deal, but if it is lodged amongst the belt or pulleys that's not good.
Right now I am having some rum and coke therapy and tomorrow I will have another look for the nut with fresh eyes. If I don't find it the engine mount has to come off again to make sure it won't cause any damage. sigh*