View Single Post
Old 28th November 2019, 12:47   #1
KeirL
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default burning lots of engine oil and clouds of smoke.....

Hi
I went away for a few days in the Rover (2005 2.0 CDT tourer) and got down there (Bristol) all ok (well, without noticing any issues). Whilst there I noticed the old girl was smoking a lot (the car not the wife) and normally it doesn't burn any oil. Additionally there were occasions when massive plumes of smoke would billow out most frequently at low revs - like when parking for example. I replaced the lost oil and kept an eye on the level over the following days - it was getting burned off very quickly and I could see a lot of smoke from the exhaust now I was aware of a problem.
Not wanting to chance the journey back home, I called out the breakdown service and got relayed back home.

I assume this is turbo related but might not be the actual turbo itself as I've been reading the forum on this and it sounds like the first things to try are to replace the PCV filter, the Intercooler O rings and to make sure the EGR valve isn't stuck open..... so this I will do.
I just wanted to place this post to make sure I'm doing the easy things first before assuming I need to replace the turbo. I've a few replacement parts on order (PCV filter and Viton seals plus have removed the EGR for a good soak in gunk overnight.
Does all this sound a suitable start or should I be looking at something else or doing things differently?

kind regards
Jon
KeirL is offline   Reply With Quote