Old 16th January 2016, 12:23   #15
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
In that situation Bill, the alternator will take longer to recharge the battery, that's all. But remember that this is quite normal since the amount of generated electricity available to recharge the battery depends upon the vehicle's current demands, the reserve still available in the battery and the length of time that the alternator is charging, and these parameters are constantly variable.

I'd challenge you to find an alternator with a maximum output lower than the battery's capacity (in Ah).

The alternator won't fail, and most batteries are inadequately charged anyway particularly at this time of year.

Ask your informant to explain how an external battery charger, with an output of say 5 amps, can be used successfully.

Simon
Thanks Simon.

As I say, it was a very long time ago now from when we were living in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe, so this might have even been referring to Dynamo's, (not the magician either..lol). So I'm afraid I cannot ask my informant as he passed away some time ago now. Sorry.

Actually most of the cars we had back then still charged with Dynamo's along with those big Voltage Regulator boxes with the coils and points inside...

I remember the worst car I had as far as that was concerned was an old VW Karmann Ghia which actually ran on a 6 Volt system - what a pain considering it actually had a Twin Carb 1500 Engine that in winter, (yes, it does get cold there in winter, well below freezing sometimes!) would never start so we fitted a 12 Volt Battery and tapped off 8 Volts. These were the old Lead/Acid Batteries with the Poles running across the top, so easily done.

Didn't have to change anything and it ran perfectly - and also started!!!

Anyway, thanks for the confirmation on my other matter.