Old 20th March 2021, 11:36   #2
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
capitalism v communism

From what I understand the West, the capitalist West in WW2 supported to a large extent the Russians the Communist East. Providing food, weapons and transportation. Why therefore do the Russians or communism oppose capitalism when it would seem that capitalism drives benefit?

macafee2

Russia is a capitalist country now, with a huge shift over past 30 years, along with a large gap between rich and poor too, which in my view, is derived from the failings of communism and foretold by George Orwell. Those rich, are generally super rich because they were in a position to be aware of what was happening behind closed doors. This allowed themselves to be a position to pounce on areas that would go on to explode financially eg. oil/gas production.

Communism is a great concept (in a simple form). Imagine it, no need for money, just go to the shop and get groceries, everybody works but for no pay. The biggest drawback is human nature, particularly greed or jealousy, followed by a lack of development.

This lack of development was made clear to me one day speaking with a Polish colleague, who was just old enough to recall the communism in Poland. He recalled his mother queued for hours as the local shoe shop awaited a delayed delivery of shoes. There were hundreds of pairs coming in apparently. He needed them as he was growing. So by the time his mother's turn had arrived to enter, all that was left in his size were girls shoes. The issue was manufacturers were instructed to supply shoes, for the people. So they supplied shoes. All were black, various sizes, one design for men, and one for women (but neither were fancy).

Sometimes (I have experienced this with camera lenses) you would get a good well made pair, others would simply fall apart - but they were shoes after all. People were lazy, they did simply what was required of them - make shoes - they left the factory as shoes and that was it.

I have two Jupiter 8 lenses. Both made in the USSR, both look the same. One however is sharp as a tack, the other is just awful (not even capable of being called 'artistic' that hipsters seem to love). The build is different too, with the lens movement being less positive. Apparently this was common.

Another story he told me was a delivery in another town was received, but they were all left shoes, rather than a pair. But the factory, fulfilled their obligation, so there was no issue.

This then leads on to development. You get a TV, it is the latest design/technology, it does its job, but next door, gets theirs a year later with a bigger screen. Now you want one with a bigger screen. Jealousy or greed. So if there is no development, people cannot become jealous of each other or greedy.

Food, cabbage is just as good as say baked beans, but you prefer the beans, but beans are harder to produce, so why not make life easier and produce cabbage (I dont know if one is easier, or better, just as a consideration). Everyone produces cabbage, and therefore all you can eat now. But I really like it, so I lift 6 cabbages, because of my greed and you can see where this is going.

Animal Farm, is a great analogy for the failings of communism.

Capitalism rewards effort, and therefore is more suited to human nature, and besides, it helps to control waste and resources (I have a drill, but it is a year old, a new shiny one would be nice - back to greed ).

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote