View Single Post
Old 29th October 2021, 19:41   #6
kelvo
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 190 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Not as accurate as the GPS but better than the analogue, having a hard time putting a number to it but say the analogue is 10% over GPS, then perhaps 5%. I'll try and remember to check next time I'm out and give you some real numbers unless someone beats me to it.

Regards
Sure I was reading somewhere where the accuracy of the GPS speed was questioned as it is not as high as people think. Sure it was down to it calculating the distance to travel between points, but doesn't take into account features such as gradient - think Pythagoras where you are travelling down the hypotenuse is further than travelling along the base.

The most accurate speed measurement would be physically measuring the distance travelled, through a doppler radar system or something.

In answer to the digital speedo though, mine also tends to show a couple of mph between that shown on the speedometer. I assume that it's the same signal that goes to both, and obviously there is a slight error in the digital to analogue conversion.
kelvo is offline   Reply With Quote