View Single Post
Old 21st April 2014, 08:35   #17
DaveyC
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbaldbloke View Post
Fantastic job, well done.

I'd considered doing something like this with my Blackberry Playbook, but my main reason for wanting such a set-up is sat nav, and the PB is pants for that.

The one thing I would encourage anyone considering this to think about is the functionality once it's in place, not "just" whether it fits. Every function that can be done once it's mounted, can be done with the tablet sitting on the passenger seat. So if you're considering this, download all the software that you want first; configure any tethering (making sure that your contract allows it); then take the tablet out for a test run to check all works as you want it to.

If you're happy that it can be the carputer that you want, then go for it!

To end where I began, fantastic job Dave.

Kev
Hi kev,

I did a lot of tinkering with the tablet when before the install, to make sure I could use it as intended and was not just a talking point

The apps I have found most useful are all on the Play Store.

In addition to the ones listed in my opening post, i am now running a custom launcher (which was originally intended for TV boxes!). It puts very large slick icons on the home screen of the 6 most used apps. I tried to get a screen grab of it but I have not got root access on the tablet.

I'm also using an app for sharing your phones GPS with a none GP enabled tablet: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...ur-tablet.html

This works flawlessly and my S4's gps is excellent, go no issues.

You can get your Playbook running Android apps, there are loads of sites showing how to. I did consider a PlayBook but the Acer came up sooner and was just the job.