View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2016, 18:23   #4509
Groundhog
Posted a thing or two

Citroen C5 Aircross

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Decided to tackle the broken spring on the ZT, so after discovering the pinch bolt was tighter than a Scotsman's wallet I borrowed a rattle gun from Cazemi.

Of course I had forgotten I don't have a 1200 CFM compressor at home, my 20 CFM machine struggled a bit

So after some persuasion, said pinch bolt was undone, and the three nuts removed from the top mount (I'd already undone the drop link, the brake pipe, and the ABS sensor from their mounts) and removed the leg.

Just enough time to tidy the tools away before the heavens opened

So off to return the rattle gun, and keep out of the inclement weather I retired to Cazemi's workshop.

Dismantling of the strut then could begin, straight sailing, oh no of course not this is a MGR product and of course the top mounting is seized solid to the damper piston

So in disgust I packed up my gear once again and headed east to see a friend to programme a couple of new plips to his MGF.

Now back home, I fastened the strut into my trusty B&D workmate and hacksawed through the top mount from both sides, which allowed for the removal of the raggy edged spring.

So I'm left with a damper, although easier to handle, still has the lower portion of the metalastic bush and lower tube firmly attached to the damper piston.

So again out with the hacksaw, and cut through the metal ring and once that was out of the way, I carved off the remnants of the rubber from the inner bush tube.

With a judicious application of some very localised heat, coupled with two hammers on opposite sides of the steel tube, the rust bond was broken, and with a flourish and a pair of mole grips the tube was removed with no damage caused to the damper..........Phew !!!!!

A quick spin over the damper piston at the top with a wire brush as all is a good as new

So the job for later is to dismantle the strut top bearing, clean it out and regrease and reassemble it, then I can box the thing back up tomorrow with the nice new spring in the morning.

I might do the other side, as I fitted a S/H spring to that side as a temporary measure, and I have treated it to two genuine MGR Brown Red springs after all.

So this one will take the record for me, five springs fitted in as many weeks

Brian
Next time your'e at Whitby call into Harrisons and tell them how to do it
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote