View Single Post
Old 9th December 2019, 22:18   #10
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
cheers for this, I did get one some time ago, cant believe I need a special "socket" for an oil change.
I have a tin box for special tools that the rover requires. It has torx bits, modified spanners, tool for splitting the hydraulic clutch line, removing the plastic three hole thing for the footwell covers, socket for adjusting the nut at the handbrake lever, socket for the oil filter housing and I have a jar with modified Allan keys in.

macafee2
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36mm-Metr...4383.l4275.c10

I think it is 36mm? But this is what I use with no issues, albeit a Draper or Laser. But note the drive size, I assumed it to be a 1/2" drive, but is a 3/8, I had it anyway, but if you only have 1/2" or 1/4" drives, just use an adapter, the filter top should only be torqued to 22Nm, if I recall.

A 6 point drive allows for the torque to be spread over a larger portion of the nut/bolt. Providing nuts and bolts are not too tight and quality sockets are used, 6 or 12 points, shouldnt matter. But I have found if the nut or bolt was too tight, and a cheap socket was used, it would slip easily and round off the nut/bolt. It may just be me, but I also find a 6 point gives a better 'feel', or maybe my 6 points are better quality, than the sets I inherited over the years lol.

I do have a curious set from Lidl, which I have not had a chance to use yet in anger, which are made up with multiple vertical rails(?) rather than points and flats. They feel quite secure, and capable, but if they are actually strong enough, I think they grip better than a 12 point, and possibly more forgiving if fitted to a slightly rounded nut.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote