View Single Post
Old 15th October 2021, 18:37   #3
JohnnyBG
Avid contributor

ZT-T

Thanks a lot for the response. Taking each point in turn:

There's been no loss of fluid (except minor spillage);

I'm assured that the new and old master cylinders had fluid in - they were not allowed to be operated "dry";

Could a connector with a bleed nipple be fitted to the clutch side of the quick fit connector? I don't know.

If when pressing the clutch pedal down no fluid comes out of the bleed nipple and a decent attempt at bleeding has been made, the master may have failed. I don't know on this, the only remark made was that it was only sucking air

An internal seal may have failed allowing fluid to by pass the seal and stay in the master cylinder. It's new, from DMGRS, and as not allowed to operate "dry" should be fine?

What made you have the clutch changed? The hydraulics appeared to be operating fine, once gear was engaged the bite point was just above the middle of pedal travel, but the gear engagement was very difficult sometimes and reverse only possible after engaging first and then going back to reverse. There were no untoward gearbox noises and the garage said the the clutch they took out was completely shot, it was a rushed visit and I didn't take the offer to see the old clutch. They are entirely honest.

How much fluid did the garage pass through the hydraulic system? I didn't ask the question.

Slave is new from Rimmers and there is no fluid loss anywhere along the system.

They didn't try vacuum approach. I will arrange uplift to my lock up (car doesn't go in, only motorcycles as shutters to narrow) and will try to check the new master cylinder before taking out the old one and fitting the new one. I'll start from scratch, old fashioned approach, then reverse bleed and then vacuum.

Thanks again. If anyone on Teesside has experience of this, I'd be pleased to see you when I get the MG back!

As an aside, the Rover 75 Connie Tourer should be done before ever so long. The Alhambra is a noisy so and so but is still working apart from occasional turbo problem (probably a sensor).

PS - As a further thought, are there any old still original Rover garages on Teesside that might be able to sort this for me?

Johnny BG

Last edited by JohnnyBG; 16th October 2021 at 07:32.. Reason: add text
JohnnyBG is offline   Reply With Quote