View Single Post
Old 20th April 2021, 12:19   #8
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

I did this job last year but I was careful not to damage any seals. I opened the bonnet and accessed the brake fluid reservoir to remove the cap and put a piece of polythene close by . Then I made sure that the bleed nipple would release before nipping it up again. I then lifted the calliper away from the disc and once supported, I pumped the pedal to push out the piston , having plenty of rags to soak up the fluid before putting the plastic over the brake fluid reservoir and screwing on the cap the reduce fluid loss. I then cleaned the piston with 800 wet and dry soaked in brake fluid and carefully cleaned the corrosion from just inside the area of the calliper before the internal seal . I then wiped the piston dry and smeared it with red brake grease and then opened the bleed nipple and carefully pushed the piston back in with a G clamp. It might take a few goes as the piston must be square in the hole and can jam if not straight. Once back together, remove the plastic bag or whatever you use from under the filler cap , top up and bleed the calliper. I’ve done this for years as a quick fix if the piston is not pitted. Mine has been perfect for 7 months and about 5000 miles.
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote