View Single Post
Old 28th August 2018, 22:55   #27
BJBaillie

Rover 75

It'd be nice not to turn this into a slagging match against the yoof please. 22, bought mine when i was 21.

Everyone i told, my age anyway, that it had leather, wood, TV and Sat Nav, heated seats, tape deck, CD multi changer, stay on headlights as you walk away, an electric blind and parking sensors. Even those with brand new pugs, Fords, Kias and whatever on finance loved it and think it's a quality motor. Everyone wants to go for a drive with me. When i pull up outside my student accommodation and have a fag with friends someone always asks me something about it.

Why just last night, while puffing away on a JPS, a friend said i looked like an old geezer in my work suit and pulling up in the Rover, another piped up "yeah but he paid for his and it's a proper class motor, it's a magnificent beauty" Mind, he was having a bit of green.

All in All, it's very iconic and everyone knows when i'm about town in it "swanning about in that big blue Jag again were you last night, should have come in the pub for a drink" - Go on, take us to Morrisons, i'll buy you something, just take us out in that car will you.

Young people recognise a good car when they see it. They just don't want to be thumbed down by someone for not quite understanding everything when it comes to motoring. So they stay away. Got to remember, it's not like the old days. Expensive petrol, Car Tax, insurance through the roof, driving lessons no cheaper than £22 an hour, less disposable income and more complex cars with harder DIY maintenance, No bodging in a part from a scrappy with a cheap welder or the like. The environmental concerns, less and less young people get into motoring at all. let alone quality or classic motoring. Once again, just looking at the issue more closely rather than lumping us all in one group would be nice. There, i've had my rant. Sorry!