Thread: Insurance value
View Single Post
Old 17th September 2019, 10:02   #14
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
No I didn't, I also have just had all new rear suspension including upper and lower arms and springs, plus new front suspension and all bushings. Brakes alone cost almost £300 too. They will simply class that as wear and tear maintenance.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuman View Post
But they are only new parts until you fit them and drive. ......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Very good point about the parts - as soon they are fitted they make not a jot of difference to the value of the car. Sad but true.

Where a well maintained car DOES have more value is in its resale value. So with old cars the only option is agreed value - but that would not really suit me as I use my car every day. It’s economical, reliable and fun to drive.

I only pay about £230 pa fully comp - and that is with a good company- my broker will not deal with those companies with a bad claims paying record. If an independent broker recommends a company - they really don’t want to have to explain to customers why that company is useless when it comes to the crunch point!

There is a reason why these scam companies are the cheapest - it’s because they don’t want to ever pay out even for a perfectly valid claim.

All you get from these scam artists is a bit of paper making it legal for you to drive. Don’t expect them to be helpful, responsive or behave ethically if you need to claim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
You are right there Clive, it’s a piece of paper to make it legal to drive. The other thing is if the company pays out in the event of a claim or not. The agreed valuation on my 21 year old 75 is £3000, for £325
So we've got these 'valuations' and premiums:

Vossy - value £1,100 (premium £218)
Darcydog - value??? (premium £230)
Gate Keeper value £3,000 (premium £325)
My quote - value £395 (premium £136 if I bought the insurance)

Those are wildly different valuations. What would each company pay out in the event of a prang that cost (say) £500 in parts?

Condition of the car does not appear on any website I've tried. Mileage of the car does not appear either. So if a complete refurb makes no difference and the car's mileage makes no difference, what does?

This box is on one of the big two comparison sites but the figure entered appears to make no difference to the results - I tried it twice (£1,500 & £3,500) and got the same quotes. So the box is pointless.

Blink is offline   Reply With Quote