View Single Post
Old 23rd February 2021, 18:26   #4
Gigagator
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Rover 25, Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRob View Post
to me that sounds like the belt has jumped a notch and the timing is out slightly. The 1st start up sounded like a belt tensioner on the way out so it is a good chance it is. Then again as always I could be well wrong
Sure hope not! It's always been kept up to date with belt changes and always have the tensioner and pump done at the same time.

Runs well apart from these issues on start up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut
It sounds like drained out/dry tappets to me. If the tapping goes away after a short time running, it tends to support this as being a lack of oil at the tappets. Does everything sound normal once the engine's warmed up and being driven?

What grade of engine oil is in there and is it at the correct level on the dipstick?
What could have caused such a thing to happen suddenly? I only noticed this noise on start up at the start of the week.

Oil is 10w40 semi synth and is just below max on the dipstick.

It had an oil change around September 2020 and a new filter always (genuine MG Rover filter). Also threw some new plugs in at the same time.

Like I said it has run like a dream until start of this week though she has on occasion been a bit hard to start on some cold mornings i.e. taking a few extra seconds finally fire up.

The noise goes away after about 30 seconds or some short period of time like that.
Gigagator is offline   Reply With Quote