View Single Post
Old 10th November 2018, 07:39   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAde View Post
... is it like arguing with a brick wall and not worth the hassle?
In my experience Adrian the Local Authority will display no humanity, simply telling you that the PCN was correctly issued (because of the registration number error). I think your best defence is that their equipment is new so some latitude should be allowed and that your wife made several attempts showing that there was no intention to deceive. Stress that she did actually pay so the Council has suffered no loss. Despite all this, prepare yourself for failure. After all, this is a revenue raising exercise for Councils to offset the reduction in grants that they get from Central Government so that taxes can be kept low and elections won.

In London a Council's rejection of your "representations" can be taken free of charge to a special tribunal staffed by lawyers. I have had some success with this. A similar service is available in Sussex and if you choose to use it, I think your argument would be viewed sympathetically.

Is it like arguing with a brick wall? Yes! You will need determination and stamina.

Is it worth the hassle? That depends how much it matters to you donating at least £45 in "tax" for a simple human error.

I would challenge them, but then I'm like that. I despise the abuse of authority.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 10th November 2018 at 10:25.. Reason: Adding link
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote