View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2020, 19:11   #1
brianw
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE Rover 75 1.8 Auto Connie

Default informing Insurance company

On the way back from work tonight there were parked cars on my side of the road. I was stationary while waiting for a van coming the other way to go past.
There was a car behind me also waiting.
Just as the van went past and before I started to move off the car behind hit into the back of me.
The offside light cluster was broken the bumper towards the wheel arch popped out and the light unit no longer lines up with the boot lid.
Obviously the bumper has some damage to paintwork and has a slight split at the top just under the light cluster.
The lady driving the car admitted that her foot had slipped off the pedal.

When I got home I took a look. I replaced a couple of bulbs that were gone and managed to glue enough of the red back to cover the rear light although the fog light is exposed. I have ordered another light cluster as I need to use the car.
It looks as if it has been pushed by the impact where the light cluster mounts causing the misalignment with the boot lid.

I really want to keep this car and am concerned that if i go through insurance they will want to write it off.

I rang the Lady to tell her what i had found and she had already informed her insurance company and gave me her insurance details.
When I go on the website for my insurers they have a button to make a claim but I cannot see a way to just inform them of an accident.

If possible I would have preferred to settle without getting the insurers involved even if it meant taking the hit myself but now she has informed her company I guess I have to let mine know.

I cannot help thinking that now the insurers are involved it could get costly in the long term in increased premiums etc and worse than that the hassle of dealing with them.
Already cost me half an evening of my life!

Where do I go from here?
Any advice welcome.
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote