View Single Post
Old 4th February 2014, 15:35   #3
Zircon
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
Any of you learned people out there have any info why both my Rover 75 2.5 kv6 engines are chewing through water pumps.?
My 2003 motor had 3 water pumps fitted by the local mechanic over 18 months all with leaking seals.Luckily they were all covered by warranty until they finally got a good one which has lasted thus far 24 months with no issues.
Now the wifes 75 has now developed a water pump seal leak,drips first thing when cold and then after getting warm no leaks,not a drop all day.
Unfortunately this pump was bought online from the UK some 24 months ago and i got an EU made pump (cONTINENTAL) thinking it would be better quality but the car has only done 15,000 km since being fitted.
I would have thought I should get more life out of it than that.
Ive emailed the online company (E CAR) re their 12 month warranty (I see on the box Continental says it carries A 24 MONTH WARRANTY) but no reply as yet
.Is there somthing my mechanic is missing when fitting or is the quality of pumps gone through the floor ?
i
Hi,

I had the same problem with my 2.5 last summer, when I had the dreaded cambelt service and followed all the advice that it makes sense to change the water pump at the same time. Within six weeks, the engine overheated and the problem was diagnosed as a leaking water pump.

Fortunately, no damage appeared to be done and the excellent mechanic replaced the pump under warranty - but it was all a very anxious time as you can well imagine!

Sometimes, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' seems the best policy!

All the best, Nicholas/Zircon
Zircon is offline   Reply With Quote