View Single Post
Old 26th February 2021, 12:37   #1
Caskin
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 tourer

Default Advice required on new ignition barrel,keys etc (SOLVED)

2002 Connie 2.5 V6...my present ignition barrel is playing up so I have decided to purchase a new or good 2nd hand one.
My present one is driving me up the wall and as far as I'm concerned only fit for the bin!!!
IF I do obtain a new or 2nd hand one and transfer the electrics from my keys to the replacement ones supplied, plus transfer my transponder reader to the ignition barrel supplied will they continue to work as normal? I ask this, as below is the answer I had from Xparts.

This is the reply I had from Xpart suppliers:

Hi Derek,
The keys for all R75 are cut to VIN otherwise the vehicle will not start, there are no key blanks for R75’s available. The electrics and transponder reader that you have will not programme the key to operate the central locking unless it is a T4 but the key will still need to cut to VIN as it activates the immobiliser.

The cost for a new key is £157.58 + VAT and takes around 7-10 days to arrive.

Kind Regards

Kara Jordan
Sales Admin, Transport & Communications Manager

I still do not understand why if I obtain just the barrel and two "empty" keys why I cannot transfer my present transponder reader (for barrel) and electrics across to the both keys.....so advice would be appreciated before I part with money hard come by!!!
Purchased 52 plate V6 connie Wedgewood blue,one owner,42000 on clock ,Virtually pristine.2017 service,new Goodyear tyres,Discs and pads all round,new battery,New cam and timing belts (3rd fitting in life of car),plus full normal service.exhaust 2016.First mod was to bonnet catch .Latest mod,triple heart pace maker. All brake lines changed for copper, all brake hoses changed for Pagid hoses.

Last edited by Caskin; 2nd March 2021 at 17:01.. Reason: NOW SOLVED
Caskin is offline   Reply With Quote