View Single Post
Old 8th June 2022, 23:14   #3
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

The in tank pump does a bit more than that Russ - they fit them to the Freelander TD4 and that doesn't have a saddle tank.

I've never looked inside the fuel tank after running out of fuel with a failed ITP, but I have bench tested both pumps, and the the reason the UBP sucks air at around a quarter of a tank level is due to the priming valve on top of the ITP becoming exposed, and looking at how high up in the tank the top of the ITP sits, that would be at around a quarter of a tank's worth of fuel. There are two valves on top of the ITP, one spring loaded for pressure relief, and the priming valve which is a floating ball that shuts as diesel is pumped up into the LP circuit, so with a failed ITP it remains open.

ITP's do assist with fuel pressure in the LP circuit, and also with self priming if the car runs out of fuel. Probably not a problem for us here in the UK, but in the middle of an Alaskan winter, it may be more of a benefit.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 9th June 2022 at 07:18..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote