View Single Post
Old 10th June 2022, 08:49   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Yes I wasn't implying the car will run on just the ITP, but that the system was designed to run at a set pressure, and the ITP contributes to it -no doubt you'd have seen the difference looking at the LP fuel pressures from cars with running and failed ITPs.

If Rover fitted a redundant pump to the Freelander then they missed a trick - Henry Ford was quoted as replying when asked why he didn't fit a fuel pump to his Model T that fuel pumps were a dollar a piece and he produced 15 million cars so the questioner could work out the answer. They only made around 540000 Freelander 1's, but fuel pumps cost a fair bit more than a dollar a piece these days. Can't see it making any difference to the ECU how many pumps are fitted as they both go through the one relay.

I'm probably in a very small minority on here but I think the fuel system for the diesels was very well designed. We don't get problems with condensation or priming, and just about the only weakness is the combination of materials for the ITP commutators and brushes - the ones I've stripped down have worn out commutators and brushes as good as new.

The vast majority of the problems on the forum come after ITPs are replaced and not fitted correctly, the pipework not clipped back in, the module seals either fitted the wrong way round or in the wrong order etc - but the one thing they have in common is that they all self inflicted and not the fault of the car.

Shame we can't talk to the designers to see exactly why they designed what they did but it's all good fun kicking it around on here!
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote