View Single Post
Old 27th July 2020, 08:18   #2
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Job View Post
But, I've noticed that if a vehicle has these more modern "turn the road into daylight" headlights, the damn thing wont operate!

I have a theory, I may be well off the mark, but it goes like this.
The mirror shouldn't darken in actual daylight.
So, if the car behind headlights have a beam which is in the daylight spectrum, it fools the sensor and so wont darken.
Does this sound possible?

Many thanks for any ideas and help!
I haven't noticed, no, but....

Modern headlights have a much sharper cut off of the upper part of the beam, than older halogen designs and if they are dipped behind you, they probably would not appear bright enough to your mirror so as to cause it to dim.

A problem I do notice when reversing out of my dark garage, out into daylight, is that the mirror sees darkness ahead, bright behind and dims the mirror. A thumb over the sensor, bring it back to undimmed.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote