View Single Post
Old 29th September 2021, 18:19   #7
BillyMG
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.5 V6 Auto Tourer (Elizabeth) / MG ZT CDTI (Farage)

Hi guys thanks for the advice. I spent a couple of hours last night looking through posts on the forum after exchanging a couple of messages with a really knowledgable and trusted member on here. Lots to consider - replace the O Rings but risk breaking the thermostat when trying to remove it as many have done on their first attempt, replace the whole thing but the new one may be inferior to the original part, keyhole surgery, full surgery, and as for coolant... when I had a hose leak a few weeks back I replaced what was lost with red OAT but thinking about it last night I probably added that to pink and hey it probably didn't matter but maybe it did - maybe it affected that O ring or maybe no difference whatsoever. Maybe Oat in general affected it over time or maybe it was just the weight of the pipes, or the clips, or perhaps just the fact it's plastic and should be metal. Maybe it was Gremlins or Pixies or the O ring got distorted by a rift in the space time continuum.Who would have thought a thermostat could cause such debate eh!?

So here's where I'm at... I've got a 4 year old and a 15 month old. I've got a bike with a seat on the back and a kids trailer. The wife's shift working long days. The weather's naff. After cycling the kids 3 miles to school and nursery this morning I think I'm guna end up on social media with the hashtag: 'Petrol crisis - what petrol crisis?? ' after a bunch of people filmed me LOL

So I've bought what's listed as an original MG Rover thermostat kit on eBay but I've also bought 4 o rings with a view to stripping and replacing them on the original, if indeed it is even original! I'm going to do keyhole, and drain / replace the coolant with red OAT. Yes red - not pink and not blue. Not sky blue pink either. Just red. Good job I'll have a spare replacement. Maybe. Maybe not.

And when I get all that done and the missus stops whinging about my cars always being broken I'm going to ask Stocktake to refurb my VIS motors. And hey if Lizzy stops keeping me busy and getting me in a tizzy I'll fit an LPG kitty and then we'll be rockin an rollin eh lads 😉👌👍
BillyMG is offline   Reply With Quote