View Single Post
Old 5th March 2021, 21:54   #126
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Well the new driver's door latch actuator and dogbone arrived during the week, and I finally got a chance to look at them. I decided to play with the new latch before fitting.

It arrived in the latch open position, so I pushed the latch closed using a screwdriver to simulate the bar on the door frame. I then pulled the lever which attaches to the internal door handle cable and it unlatched. I locked it again with the screwdriver and pulled the other lever which attaches to the external door handle linkage. Again it unlatched. So then I closed the latch again with the screwdriver and pressed the lever which is linked to the interior card button. It now stayed locked and nothing I did would open it!

So I had to fit the new actuator to the door in the locked position and hope that power to the solenoid would release it when the fob was activated.
Fitting went quite smoothly ( my learning curve on the front passenger door). I kept the old dogbone since it didn't want to release from the key barrel drive box end.

With the new latch located properly on the original dogbone, I pressed the key fob a few times and the solenoid fired up and unlocked the latch. I shut the door and all buttons went down using the fob. I then unlocked with the fob, but the driver's door didn't unlock despite the actuator lifting the button, unless I give it an assist with the key in the barrel.
I seem to have fitted a new latch but still got the same problem I had with the old latch. I can't imagine I damaged the new latch by playing with it prior to fitting? Could it be that the key barrel mechanism is the problem and my old latch is fine? I still can't unlock using the key! The key will lock all four doors, but won't open anything manually. Surely it has to be the barrel mechanism?
So I popped out to check the V8 driver's door. 90degrees right locks, 90 degrees left unlocks. On the 190, 90 degrees right locks, but it won't rotate 90 degrees left, it only goes to 12 o'clock. Do I perhaps need a new barrel mechanism? or have I possibly screwed up the installation of the new actuator?
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote