Thread: pinchbolts
View Single Post
Old 24th June 2021, 06:55   #8
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
just to come back to the last post .the hubs are not loose after tightening.they seem to work loose after 6 to 9 mths and show up again at mot time. this is using the thin shank bolts. had 6 new arms on the car to date and never had a problem even when i re used the old thicker bolts.it just seems more than a coincidence it started with these bolts or maybe the swivel hubs are ready for change. pin sizes on the trw arms are correct diameter and tighten up fine..... for a while. members on here have recommended 60 to 70 torque figures and claimed to have cured this problem as apparently its a common occurance. but i must admit i stuck to around 50. we will see what happens after the new stuff has gone on..... thanks for replies.
Over torqueing providing your still within the bolt yield strength will not be a problem but once taken beyond that point a bolt will not recover . Hence good practice to fit new bolts on bolts that have come loose
Torque figures given are to get the bolt into its yield strength with adequate tightness, but not beyond , rendering the bolt reusable without deformation .
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote