View Single Post
Old 15th August 2019, 11:11   #4
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicochapman View Post
I've no particular experience of this but try..............

1.insert a thin bladed flat screwdriver between the nut and the liner and push in hard to press it against the bolt.This might hold the bolt just enough to turn the nut.
2.Split the nut by cutting into it with a Dremel (other small rotary tools are available)
3.Grind the nut away with a grindstone in your drill
4. if the end of the bolt is proud of the nut, cut a slot in it so you can hold it with a screwdriver.
5. if not, drill into the end of the bolt and hope the "bite" of the drill bit will hold against the spanner.
Thanks Malcolm but I tried most of those and failed.

1. Doesn't work - the stud spins no matter how hard you lever against it with the screwdriver (I tried both sides of the liner). Trim tools don't work either. The thread is (was) so rusted it's practically vanished.

2. I don't have a Dremel. I tried a mini hacksaw blade instead and couldn't do it.

3. I couldn't get the drill in the right position because this stud is in a recessed corner of the liner.

4 & 5. No chance with these - the end of the stud is far too rusted and is more like a point than a flat surface.

This other end of this stud is impossible to get to - I think it's sandwiched between two sheets of metal. Even if I had managed to get the nut off the stud would still be spinning.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote