View Single Post
Old 24th August 2019, 18:47   #59
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post
Alanaslan - as long as the horses don't take the horsebox over it's gross weight (the most it'll ever be in the UK is 3500kg), and as long as the trailer isn't heaver than the maximum towing weight of their 4x4, then the 'combination' as it stands should be legal.

Whether the drivers you mention have the correct licence to tow a trailer is another matter however...

I'm not sure how true it is, but I believe that in a situation where the gross train weight (car & horsebox) is over 3500kg, if the driver receives any form of 'betterment' from the purpose for which they are towing, e.g. winning a trophy or even just a rosette in the horse trials, then legally they should be using a tachograph.

I have memories of putting my friend George’s Austin Gypsy in for its road test. It was a pain, as the vehicle was from a working farm but also went to market it had to be weighed each year. In order for it to make its weight we had to park around the corner from the weigh bridge take the seat out drain the oil out the diff and gearbox and engine drain the fuel tank and drop the coolant, start her up take out the battery and drive her around the corner to be weighed, even doing all that it was touch and go if you made the plated weight.
Thank goodness these days are over, I can never understand why plated weights are not wet weights. You would never get a diesel 75 down to its plated weight. Without taking the engine out and putting a moped under the bonnet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote