View Single Post
Old 15th April 2018, 07:59   #24
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazcaz View Post
No brainer the mileage and age is there for a reason ..
Yes Gary, I agree. The mileage is quoted because a component such as a drive belt will wear when it is doing mechanical work, i.e. when the engine is running.

I have explained many times how MG Rover came up with the replacement on a six year basis but I will give it again. They judged that the belts have a service life of 90,000 miles and that the average driver covers 15,000 miles per year (this assumption is the basis for all manufacturers' service schedules for oil, filters, everything). 90,000 miles divided by 15,000 miles p.a. is 6 years. It was as simple as that. However, if a driver covers 10,000 miles p.a. the answer changes to 9 years. Then people cry out that this driver is taking a dangerous risk. Of course he isn't. The service life hasn't changed, only the mathematics has.
Quote:
Rubber in this climate cold hot best way to destroy rubber ..
Nonsense Gary. If that were true, there would be an insistence that every vehicle's tyres were renewed on a time basis, on safety grounds. There isn't, and many tyres last longer than six years.
Quote:
... also its not just the belts water pump and tension er i believe are also known to fail.
Let's add suspension bushes, ABS sensors, exhausts, the list is endless for every car on the road, but do you replace all those on a time basis?
Quote:
... get it done then once done if anything was to happen Hello Garage.......
That's just the same old insurance salesman tactic Gary. My belts are 19 years old and they're fine. Nothing is going to happen!

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 15th April 2018 at 08:02..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote