View Single Post
Old 21st October 2020, 11:48   #11
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
I don't know if it's true, but I was told by someone years ago that you should let a turbo car idle for around thirty seconds after a hard run. Apparently the reason was that some turbos get so hot they boil their lubricating oil if the engine is just switched off. It was way back when I was running a Lancia Delta turbo. So I always did that. That car was totally reliable and I sold it on to my brother in law who subsequently sold it on and then bought a new one back in the 80's ( 'cos he missed it after it was sold lol). He told me he never bothered with what I told him and both cars were fine, so maybe the advice wasn't needed for that model of car.
Very true. The local fitter/engineer/technician who looked after my Aston Martin I had once upon a time told me about the heat issue and they had quite a few disgruntled owners who probably never listened. Turbo re-designs and upgraded oils eventually helped. My 820 Vitesse Sport spewed the waste-gate into the exhaust even though I followed advice re idling. In fact this vehicle would keep the fan going for about 30 sec.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote