View Single Post
Old 30th May 2015, 22:13   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Does your car insurance offer a breakdown policy? Mine currently is free, as part of the discount rate by my union. However, I was told the value of it was £35 per year, which was what it was last year prior to joining the union. I have always had the cover with my insurance. Only had to use it once, in my last car, when the alternator (and ultimately battery) gave up 12 miles from home. They came, collected me, offered to try to get me started, but I explained it was pointless, and he then transported me and my car home. The offer was also there to take my car to the nearest garage, which was less than a mile away, and me home.
No, but I could get breakdown thrown in for free, for the same cost or even get it free with credit cards, but my need is for better than the basic cover - just in case.

I tow the caravan and I have nightmares about breaking down whilst towing. I would have SWMBO in who is severally disabled, plus two dogs then the caravan. I make sure what ever cover I accept, would recover us, plus the caravan back home, I also make sure they would collect the caravan from site, if we were out touring the local area too. I don't fancy the idea of us being taken home, with the van stranded on a site 250 miles away. Many say they will recover the van, but only if it is attached to the car when it is broken down.

One company I asked, said it would be down to the breakdown drivers discretion, likely they would oblige - that is no good at all to me.

Kwikfit say they do cover the caravan, but that is all, so I have asked them for clarification.

My current cover, says only if it is attached at the time, but I got them to agree on a variation in writing, that they would collect the van from site anyway. Its a silly rule, which makes it useless cover for those with a caravan, unless you break down on route.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote