View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2018, 13:08   #1
rrr
Regular poster

2001 75 1.8 LHD, 2000 75 1.8 LHD

Default Symphony not communicating with CD changer

I bought a low mileage 75 1.8 last year with a Harmony radio in it. I decided to upgrade to Symphony and add a glovebox mounted CD changer XQU100430 which I took from a donor car and which was working faultlessly there. I bought a blue mini ISO connector, cut away the connector from the Symphony-CD changer wiring and soldered the blue mini ISO to the wires according to the diagram I found on this forum (unfortunately picture not available any longer). When I connect the changer to the wiring, it "wakes up" and seems to scroll through the carriers in search of discs which can be heard (I did all the testing with "genuine" CDs, no copies, so the changer should face no difficulty with reading the discs). However, the Harmony headset does not recognize the CD changer during this process and when TAPE/CD button is pressed the display only says "NO TAPE". As I have another changer of the same type, I tested it only to get the same result. Then I had no energy to go further and ran the car using radio/tape only. Then I got a brand new Symphony unit and decided to go back to the problem during Christmas holiday. I removed the home-made wiring, checked all the wire colours only to find that everything is as the picture shows. Installed the new Symphony headset, connected the CD changer, same result as before. Connected the second CD changer, same result... Not to forger, the steering wheel control also does not work since the beginning (wires also connected according to the picture).
Would anyone have an idea what the problem is? What have I done wrong? I know a CD changer is an obsolete thing, however would like to keep the car equipped with the original audio system and not go for something contemporary (and probably more sensible...).
rrr is offline   Reply With Quote