View Single Post
Old 18th March 2021, 20:37   #1
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Default Cleaning car with autoglym..

Hello,
I've just got a new company vehicle.
They are never supplied valeted, just a quick jetwash before being delivered.

Anyway, I am hoping to buy this car at the end of its term so am wanting to take good care of it from day one.

So, I've been shopping and binged on autoglym products, having bought the carwash solution, super resin polish and extra gloss protection. All as recommended by autoglym.

I carried out the process today, taking around five hours.
The car looks incredible with a great shine and beautifully smooth paintwork. Far better than it did when I collected it.

Autoglym themselves say to repeat the polish and sealant process once every few months, but having read online many people say you should not use super resin polish at all because it has a cutting compound and will damage the clear coat.

Now, to me being simple you would of course want to polish beforehand, not only to remove swirl marks, but industrial fallout. The fact that the paint is rough to the touch prior to polishing clearly suggests to me that you would want to remove this before applying any sealer..? (Extra gloss protection.)

What do the experts suggest? Have I done something wrong and likely damaged my paintwork in the long-term?

I followed all the autoglym guides on their YouTube page.
(It's been YEARS since I last took any specific interest in making a car look nice.)

Thank you in advance.