Old 18th October 2020, 19:31   #11
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
Depends how far you want to go with it.

I have seen superb re-spays for 2k, and some really bad ones for twice that amount. You need to shop about and see work they have done.

Just a few months ago while having some accident damage sorted on our other car, I asked him to look at my Rover with a few to having the paint sorted. It's pretty good, but has some lacquer damage here and there. I suggested a re-spray of the bottom half, up to the chrome trim. He quoted an unbelievable £450. If it turned out as good as the car we had fixed it would be quite passable if I was having the whole car done. If he was only doing the bottom half of the car, it wouldn't be quite on par with the Rover finish on the top half and would be noticeable.

The problem with re-sprays is we expect total perfection, far far better than the original finish! just take a look at the paint of most newish cars, the orange peel is very noticeable on most of them. If you paid for a re-spray and you saw orange peel you would be very disapointed, but it you bought a brand new car costing £££ and it had orange peel, you would except it.
Your comment about ‘orange peel’paint finish is spot on. Just shows there are no discerning motorists about now. Paying more money for a new car that if it was a second hand car 20 years ago, and a respray it would have been rejected. Times, they are a changing, ................and not for the best.