View Single Post
Old 8th July 2020, 10:23   #8
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I am not a cyclist or a lover of them, but you dont pay any more tax for road use than a cyclist does.

As long as they use it correctly, I wouldn't mind so much. I do have a problem with cyclists who cycle alongside a cycle lane. The road and cycle lane at jordanstown is a prime.exanple of this, ditto at titanic quarter. When I see this, I will give the bare minimum to avoid my car being damaged. At that point, they are no longer road users, they are trespassing.

Insurance and registration, now that is something to be applied.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

This is annoying, and highly beligerent from someone surrounded by 2 tons of steel. Local to me is a road with a 'cycle' lane - that lane is less than 1 metre wide and includes the gutter of the road (where all the rubbish that will puncture tyres is, and in the autumn fall of leaf fall, in the winter full of the slush and snow thrown to the side of the road). I'm prepared to be surprised if the cycle lanes you mention are any better. The minimum 'gap' to (legally) overtake a cyclist is 1.5m (around 5 feet). So if you arent' giving that much clearance (from their furthest offside extent to the nearest side of your car) then you are too close. If there's space to overtake then there's space to be in the opposite lane. At the same time as constantly fighting to establish space on the road when on this section on the bicycle I'll find cars in traffic ahead with their nearside within the marked cycle lane.

Before you splutter about 'ok for cyclists to pass cars within inches, but not ok for cars to pass cyclists at the same distance' stop and think about who's in danger here.

Cyclists using the road 'trespassing' what a load of tosh to self-justify and rationalise your dangerous actions. The roads are for everyone.

Before you start bleating about 'road tax' / 'road fund licence' /'excise duty' there's plenty of cars that don't pay any either.

I'm ashamed that you're a member representing drivers of our fine cars.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote