View Single Post
Old 25th March 2021, 14:38   #10
Azur
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon. 2,5 V6 Conn.SE auto, Moonstone green, White gold, Dorchester red

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
The water pump is not visible unless the timing belt cover is removed. Leaks from the water pump typically run down the front of the engine (behind the cover) and drip out from under the crankshaft pully. If you see drips from the lower end of the front cover, you probably need to get the water pump replaced. That's quite a serious job for a learner mechanic and might be best left to a professional.

TC
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hello Emiel,

Congratulations on your Dorchester red car; my favourite colour!

Wipe the oily residue from the power steering hoses and keep it under observation. If the rag is red it's hydraulic fluid seeping out, if the rag is black it's engine oil from another source. If the loss is very minor, and it sounds as if it is, I would leave it alone for now.

Likewise, wipe off the pink residue from the oil filter and the other location and check for a recurrence. The favourite place for coolant leaks is from the seals in the "V" and there's a drainage route beside the water pump inlet which discharges the pink stuff over the oil filter giving the impression that the pump is leaking when it probably isn't. How did I find this out?

Regarding the oil on the bottom of the gearbox I have that too. It's engine oil which gets sucked into the breather tubes because the filters in the cam covers don't function as intended. The oil enters the throttle body then trickles down under gravity into the air cleaner ribbed hose and slowly seeps out through the Jubilee clip connection. Loosen the clip and ensure that the bottom of the hose, which you can't see easily, is properly lipped over the throttle body air intake. Carefully tighten the clip but don't overdo it. This may improve matters but the oil baked onto the gearbox casing is there for good unless you attack it with engine degreaser and/or steam cleaning equipment.

Simon
Hi Simon,

thanks for your reaction, yes indeed a lovely colour and she drives lovely too. Happy with the car, but did not expect her to have these "problems".

I will follow your tips and tricks, probably the weekend, and wil post how things work out!

Cheers,
Emiel
Azur is offline   Reply With Quote